Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Next week I am going to see the Flaming Lips in Sydney. I bought the tickets ages ago and I can't wait....seriously you don't understand how excited I am about this. If Wayne Coyne wasn't married, living in Oklahoma and obsessed with vibrating underpants he and I would definitely be an item.

I go through stages of having favourite Flaming Lips albums. At the moment it is Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. I love how the Flaming Lips build a story out of their albums, and that is certainly true of Yoshimi. In 2007 there were rumours that this album was going to be made into a Broadway musical. A FLIPPING BROADWAY MUSICAL!

This is how my non future ex husband described the plot:

'There's the real world and then there's this fantastical world. This girl, the Yoshimi character, is dying of something. And these two guys are battling to come visit her in the hospital. And as one of the boyfriends envisions trying to save the girl, he enters this other dimension where Yoshimi is this Japanese warrior and the pink robots are an incarnation of her disease. It's almost like the disease has to win in order for her soul to survive. Or something like that.'

I know everyone loves 'Do you realize?' but my god, that song makes me tear up every time I listen to it. Some days I purposely have to skip it just so there won't be some embarrassing public breakdown on my part. The lyrics just remind me about all the things that kind of freak me out. Like how big the world is. Like how small we all are, and although we may be small in the world, we are often big to those around us.

So instead of posting a link to that beautiful song, please enjoy the Flaming Lips as they cover Madonna.

No comments:

Post a Comment