Friday, August 7, 2009

Friends

friend (frnd)
n.
1. A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
2. A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.
3. A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade.
4. One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group, cause, or movement: friends of the clean air movement.
5. Friend A member of the Society of Friends; a Quaker.
tr.v. friend·ed, friend·ing, friends
1. To add (someone) as a friend on a social networking website.
2. Archaic To befriend.

I always have random thoughts, where your not sure why or how your mind gets there, but somehow it just does. The other day I was daydreaming and thinking about a friend of mine, and how I thought she is one of the most beautiful people I know, because she is both gorgeous and also a straight up good person.

Stuff happened which meant I got to tell her that today, but you know what? I wish I had told her what I thought just out of the blue, and not in response to something else that had happened.

This is all very cryptic and might not make sense, but what I was thinking about this evening was how we don't generally tell friends that we love them. It's usually something you'd say to a partner, or family member - but friends? And I should qualify to mean when you are sober.

I think I'm really lucky in that I have great friends who mean the world to me. Some I have known for years, some for not so long. I know that there are friends that are with you for just a point in your life and some friends that you'll end up hanging onto forever. And the ones I have now I'm hanging onto for dear life!

This is the first time in many years that I've been single, so I guess for me, that has helped me to understand the true value of friendship. Not just people sticking by you and all that, but being able to enjoy the relationship that a friendship offers. I'm certain some of my friends don't have any idea how much they have meant to me and helped me out of the big old mess of the last few years. While some of that time has been fucking ordinary, if none of it had happened I wouldn't be sharing those relationships with some of you today. So that's something I've gained from a loss.

So I'm sending love and thanks to my friends who are both near and far, those who came back and those who are soon to move away ♥


No comments:

Post a Comment