Monday, January 4, 2010

Wendy and Lucy

I hadn't heard too much about this film - it seems to have slipped under the radar here. It is an amazing story, though be warned I cried 70 minutes of the 80 and was sobbing by the end.

Wendy and Lucy is a story which I'd say isn't told often in American film, about people in the US who are living on the margins of society. Things can turn from good to bad and bad to good in a matter of seconds. Life is fragile and a small mistake can pretty much change everything.

The movie is confronting and thought provoking (well for me anyway)and I think you should take the time to watch it. It is a reminder of how good most of us have it, and how during difficult times people change the way or how much they are willing or able to help each other. It is a big dose of reality.

I'm a bit ashamed to say though, that I think the movie tugs at heartstrings because of the dog. I often struggle with this, because I'm always so emotional when there are animals involved, and argue with myself for not being more touched by stories solely about humans. Maybe I just relate to the story more because of the dog from the yellow house? I don't know though, for this film the dog is such an important character and I guess a symbol of hope. Michelle Williams performance is also understated and beautifully realistic. Watch it, I'd be interested to know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I watched this last night at my friend's house.

    It is so easy for those of us who are comfortable to say "If you can't afford to keep a dog, you shouldn't", as was said to Wendy by the officious clerk who insisted that she needed to be made an example of. I wonder how many of that sort of person, finding themselves in Wendy's situation could glibly give up their dog (or child -- because often the same people have the same sort of opinion about parents who find themselves in dire straits).

    I was upset for Wendy having to be without Lucy as much as I was worried about how Lucy was feeling without Wendy. Lucy was the one solid connection to a "real life" she had left and the one live comfort she had. In her shoes, I would have felt about it the same way she did.

    I like to think I would have had a bit more compassion than the store clerk and the policeman, and had more gumption than the store manager who clearly wanted to cut her a break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anneke,
    I think the most harrowing part of the movie for me was at the end looking through that wire fence with Wendy talking to Lucy. In my heart I thought Lucy would be okay but I too worried about Wendy. I think it is upsetting that she was trying to make a better life for herself and Lucy, and just couldn't cut a break anywhere!

    I talked to someone else about this film and they thought Wendy was a bit irresponsible. I thought the opposite - that she had made a decision to try and improve her lot. Who knows - I'm still a bit startled about how much that movie affected me. I hope that train took her safely to Alaska

    ReplyDelete