Wednesday, February 9, 2011

52 Books in 52 weeks - # 3 Breakfast at Tiffany's

If I'd only read the back of the book - or at the very least wikipedia, I would have saved myself a whole lot of grief. Why? This is what wikipedia says.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is a novella by Truman Capote published, along with three of his short stories, in book form by Random House in 1958

Coincidentally it isn't dissimilar to what the back of the book says. What is the crucial piece of information? Can you guess? Let me tell you what happened and see if you can work it out.

Reading story. Enjoying story. Story hits a sad part. Story gets marginally happier. Story moves to a completely unrelated plot line. This ends suddenly and then another unrelated plot line occurs. I am so distracted trying to work out how these 'chapters' fit into the story that I lose track of the whole thing. By the time the final chapter comes - I'm up to a third unrelated story line and I begin to get cranky.

Finish book and think the first half was excellent but the ending let it down, because quite frankly the last bit didn't make sense. Casually turn to the back of the book and skim the blurb about the book and author. Turn book the right way around and whack myself in the head with it.


2 comments:

  1. 'We are legion'.
    But to the topic at hand:

    Dear Yellow House In The U dweller,
    That is really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment about turning the book around reminds of when I read "The Naked Lunch". Now Burroughs isn't the easiest read at the best of times (I think his spoken word stuff is easier to digest, even if it is readings from his writing).

    But I plowed through "The Naked Lunch" and started forming the distinct impression that the book was meant to be read backwards. Not word by word backwards but possibly reading the chapters in reverse order. Because I recall characters appearing with no introduction, only to be introduced later.

    ReplyDelete