Thursday, August 4, 2011

Surrealism Exhibition - Brisbane



Surrealists, not my favourite bunch of art kids, but this exhibition was great. An interesting collection of paintings, collages and film - working its way through history. Curiously missing was any reference to Australian surrealism. I guess we didn't produce any surrealists per se, but there were many artist heavily influenced by the movement, like the Angry Penguins and Albert Tucker comes to mind.

A nice surprise was some work by Joseph Cornell, my favourite artist. On the flip side of the above paragraph - I wouldn't pick Joseph for a surrealist. Either way one of his beautiful boxes was on display and I was mesmerised. Did I ever tell you about that time in Chicago? That's another story. Remind me to pull out my travel diary to tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment