Monday, April 2, 2012

Top 100 - Atlantic City, Bruce Springsteen # 9



Story by Lavinia

My unrequited love affair with Bruce Springsteen has been a source of pride for most of my life. Many a friend and stranger have suffered my lecturing on the Boss’s musical genius. Born to Run, Dancing in the Dark, Pink Cadillac and I’m on Fire taught me of American hopes and failures,  lovesickness, of its dirty parks and industrial cities. New Jersey was my favourite American state until I went there. I like the idea of Nebraska but have no plans to go. All these iconic Bruce places pale in comparison to my dreams of Atlantic City.  I always imagine myself as the baby who meets Bruce in Atlantic City. I’d fix my hair up pretty, put on too much rouge, my torn stockings and drink too many gins.

Ever since I can remember, Atlantic City has been my favourite song. But when Bruce turned it into a barn-storming 10-piece country rock anthem on his Live in Dublin record, I lost my shit. The sad, lonesome acoustic ballad became a party jam and I got my Irish boot stomp on in the loungeroom. Let’s face it, I’ve got nothing philosophical or meaningful to say about this song other than it’s my first, only and truest love.


Artwork by Karin




1 comment: