Saturday, April 21, 2012

Top 100 - Tears In Heaven, Eric Clapton #22



Story by Asel

I finally did it! I sat down and thought of a song that is important to me. Well, I should say I thought of many songs: some that remind me of childhood, my brother and home, some that remind me of my parents and especially my artistic pianist mother with her love for classical and French music (I was really tempted to pick one of the songs by an Egyptian- Italian, Dalida, who sang in French, one of the favourites for me when I was very small was her with Alaine Delon) Then there are songs that remind me of my carefree young days, friends and my exchange year in America.  I decided against the latter as I did spend most of the time in Oklahoma, so can't really see you inspired by a line-dancing type of a song.  And of course there was Kylie's "On a Night Like This" for the Sydney Olympics, the time when I first arrived in Australia all naiive and starry-eyed. I am not usually Kylie's biggest fan, but it just happened that her performance on the closing night coincided with my arrival. So Sydney forever in my mind will be decked in glitter and pink feathers with her song playing in the background :)))

I thought about them all and many more that brought happy memories. However I decided to go with a very sad one, hope you don't mind. 

It is "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton. It's a song that always brings tears to my eyes. It is bitter sweet, because it reminds of a very special person in John's and my life: our daughter, Leila, whose date of birth and death are the same: 28 February 2003.  She was our beautiful angel, who, due to a "cord accident", was taken away from us on the same day she was born...

It is a tribute to her, who we will always remember and to my husband, John, whose love kept me alive and to our other children Erik and Maksat (Max), who made me believe again and that life does go one and one could be happy again.

So this is my song for you...

Artwork by Karin







1 comment: