Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Top 100 - Atomic, Blondie # 56

Story by Nikki



Atomic was my all time favourite “getting ready to go out” song of all time. I would blare it over and over until the windows rattled at my parents’ house while I danced around in the mid 1980’s getting dressed to go out.

The lyrics are absurdly simple, yet they resonated with me as I made my outfit of skintight jeans, enormous shoulder pads and even bigger earrings…magnificent. Ooooooh tonight…. Atomic!!!

The bit that made me laugh with satisfaction then, but with irony now was the line in the song, “Oh your hair is beautiful…” because I would be teasing, spraying, moussing and gelling my hair to be as big as humanly possible. Magnificent…ooohhh tonight….Atomic.

Weirdly whenever I hear the song now, I still have to hear it at full volume and I still have to dance around. I am not sure if my outfits or hairstyles have improved in 25 years but my love of a good song to get ready to remains the same.

Artwork by Karin








No comments:

Post a Comment