Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Top 100 - Rising Son, Massive Attack # 78





Story by Mark

Hearing this song regardless of what environment I am in always takes over me and I feel immersed within it's dark awkward  groove. There is this sadistic feel for this song that Daddy G and 3D express with an amount of distaste and frustration within their almost whispering vocals. To me this song is about disconnectedness between two people, disjointed attractiveness and belief. A feeling I connected with teenage romance and and angst that came with it   

The synths within it feel twisted and uneasy- I remember first hearing it in year 10 or something and everyone was very much in to Teardrop and which follows on from Rising Son but I just wanted to always "replay one" and not continue in to the blissful beauty which Teardrop is. I suppose it first got me in to Massive attack and got me interested in older massive attack and as a result, Tricky, which lead to greater exploration of hip hop in general.

It's a personal song to me off a personal album that I would immerse in to with head phones on with no one else around enjoying the sense of sound!
 
Favourite line in song is:   Why you want to take me to this party and breathe, I'm dying to leave.

When I saw Massive Attack live in Manchester a couple of years ago I went berserk when they played Rising Son and wanted to be around everyone and it wasn't personal at all! Amazing live act!!!!

Artwork by Karin




1 comment:

  1. Thanks Karin, I love the piece that you have created. Really captures what my feeling was around this song.
    Mark :)

    ReplyDelete