Saturday, May 5, 2012

Top 100 - So What, Miles Davis # 51



Story by Dwaine
Here is my song. It is So What by Miles Davis.
I had a 17th birthday party and a friend gave me Miles' record Kind of Blue. It was my first ever jazz record and you could not get any better. It would be like losing your virginity to Sophia Loren.
However I did not know it at the time. I listened to the album over and over. Trying to connect. But it was strange and foreign and elusive.
Slowly and with patience the album revealed itself. Miles is a genius. He broke the frontier of jazz music many times over in his career.
I now move through life with this song with me. I know every note. I know the muted tone of Miles' trumpet, the smoothness of Adderley, the excitement of Coltrane and the beauty of Evans.
Wherever I go I hear this song. It is played in movies, tv, cafes, malls and galleries. I am fortunate that I can be unexpectedly thrilled with the surprise of Miles in the ordinary and every day.
If there ever was a gift that truly did keep on giving, my 17th birthday present is surely it.
Thank you Anthony Howe.


Artwork by Karin




No comments:

Post a Comment