Sunday, May 13, 2012

Top 100 - Surfing Safari, The Beach Boys # 63



Story by Rose

The song I have chosen is “Surfin’ Safari” by the Beach Boys. I chose this song because it reminds me of family and being a kid, summer and spending time with my dad. The Beach Boys was the only record we had when we went on holiday to my Nonna and Nonna’s little shack in Bodalla on the South Coast. There would be up to 7 kids all squished in to a room with bunk beds and not much else, the place was old and had odd green and brown carpet throughout, including the bathroom, but I loved it. Mum and dad eventually bought a little shack of their own in Congo, also on the South Coast of NSW which is one of my favourite places in the whole world. It’s just stunning and I have had so many happy times there with my dad.

One of my favourite memories is waking up at the crack of dawn with my dad and making a big thermos of coffee and fishing with him as the sun rose. As soon as the sun was up I would be in the surf and constantly sing this song to myself. Even now I find myself humming the tune or sing it in my head when I’m in the surf. I also love this song because my mum loves the Beach Boys and it reminds of many a dance or two at a number of celebrations with her.

Artwork by Karin






No comments:

Post a Comment