Friday, September 28, 2012

Andy Warhol

People are often polarised by Warhol - seems he is a love / hate kinda guy. I'm in the love camp. I've read the salacious diaries and biographies. I've watched the movies too. I still think he is a genius and looking at his work today, it is relevant and contemporary which isn't an easy thing to do. 



Something that people often don't consider about his work is the scale. I went back to this gallery in Berlin, five years or so later, just to see that Mao. It still takes my breath away - the size of it astounding.

And for a printmaker - the multiples, the grainy photographic images, the overexposure and the negatives...I just love. He makes it look all so easy when it really, well actually it really is easy in execution. It's just the conception that's the trick.







No comments:

Post a Comment