Saturday, September 14, 2013

Yesterday and tomorrow

Swimming in a pool surrounded by desert, blue sky and sun. The French smoke cigarettes and the smoke drifts by faintly. It is a surprisingly pleasant mix with the chlorine and the dry air.

All the pretty young things from yesterday are yet to appear and the germans - they sunbake. Me? I swim and thinks thoughts of nothing. 

People walk by wearing sunscreen and all of a sudden I'm 8 years old and back in the northern beaches of Sydney. Salt air and the midday sun with the long reef waves crashing loudly, they somehow smother the sound of laughter and squeals. And here I am decades later - in a land far far away, though that all just seems like yesterday. I wonder what tomorrow will feel like? I know it won't feel like today.

No comments:

Post a Comment