Monday, November 18, 2013

Enough Said

This is a great film. A sad / happy film. Julia Louis - Dreyfus plays Eve, a divorced masseuse who meets Albert, played by James Gandolfini.

If you've ever been in a long term relationship that has hit the splitsville's I think you'll get a lot out of this film. How is it that the little habits people have become so intolerable when you fall out of love? Or maybe those people were never in love? What is love? Jeez - how did I turn a nice little romantic comedy into a series of the worlds worst philosophical questions? Moving on....

I don't know, but as you get older do you become more forgiving of those little quirks? Right now, I can't think of any particularly annoying habits anyone in my former life had, though I'm sure at the time there were a half dozen things that would drive me bananas. But now - I don't remember any of them. I do remember the stuff that busted my heart a bit. I wonder what he would say if you asked him? Maybe he remembers a half dozen pesky habits of me. Which would be odd because I'm pretty much perfect. 

This film in its own quiet way explores how people break up and move on and how sometimes lives need to stay intertwined. It doesn't mean people want to stay connected, and in the film there is an awkwardness about that which is quite real. Relationships are hard and people make mistakes - this is an intelligent, understated film about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment