Sunday, February 9, 2014

The National - Sydney Opera House

I have to say one of the best gifts a friend has given me is the gift of music.  Taffy Bubblegum gave me the Nationalbuying me his favourite CD of a band he loved a few years ago - just because he wanted to share it. More people should do that kind of thing don't you think? I have also shared my love of the National on a memory stick to the faux arab and in turn he has given me bits of music to discover. I'm sure he wouldn't be shy in saying the music gift giving of our friendship has been one sided. But hey, who's counting?

But the National. At the Sydney Opera House. Incredible. It amazes me that is such an open space they were able to play such an intimate gig. The song lyrics are breathtakingly tender and to listen outside in the summer breeze, bats flying above us and with the city shimmering in the background - I just can't explain.







Please go listen to this band right now and I dare you not to be lost in the words and sounds. I know I'm a hopeless romantic, but seriously - the lyrics just chip away at your heart. The person who wrote this is 100% on the money and while for the most part I still swoon when I hear these lyrics and believe in the destiny stuff….sometimes it just kills me, the words and the romanticism of it all - both the failed and imagined.

I wanna hurry home to you
put on a slow, dumb show for you
and crack you up
so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
god I'm very, very frightening
I'll overdo it

You know I dreamed about you
for twenty-nine years before I saw you
You know I dreamed about you
I missed you for
for twenty-nine years



You can watch the entire show here.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it's like the Willy Wonka of Hipster cafés... Ps that pig is amazing.

    ReplyDelete