Saturday, March 8, 2014

Mapping Our World

So, I'm a bit late on this one. I would normally recommend seeing Mapping Our World if you are in Canberra but alas (or should I say atlas) it's all sold out and closes this weekend.

Instead I'll just tell you how wonderful it was. But first, aren't maps great? There is something just wonderful about a good map - the lines and colour and maybe the familiarity too? This map of the world pictured below was made from 1448-1453 was my favourite.The scale was incredible as it took up the entire wall and I could have spent hours getting lost looking at the detail. 


My other favourite maps were the maps drawn within a circle - they reminded me that a long time ago I put on an exhibition called Globe. It was full of maps, snow dome paintings and all things travel. I wish I'd taken better records of that because a lot of the stuff got sold, but I do remember working on a round globe painting of a map of the world and I've got a feeling now this is something I'm going to revisit. Maps and circles, documenting life and love. And finally I have it - see you on the other side of this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment